Peter,

This moves beyond the protocol itself and into operational concerns of chosen
policies.  Based on the language in the EPP RFCs, the registry can choose
various policies on which hosts require glue (e.g., all internal hosts, only
in-bailiwick hosts), what pre-conditions need to be met to delete a host (e.g.,
no linked domains, only linked domains from same sponsoring registrar,
independent of linked domains), what pre-conditions need to be met to delete a
domain (e.g., no linked child hosts,  only linked child hosts to domains from
same sponsoring registrar, independent of linked child hosts), and how to
implement the deletion to meet the data integrity and performance requirements
of the system (e.g., don't allow lame delegations by implementing a cascade
delete upfront, allow lame delegations and perform cascade delete later).  The
protocol doesn't dictate the policy in this case but does include guidance in
the form of normative SHOULDs with an eye on maximizing data integrity.  EPP is
for provisioning and not bulk transactions, which is why the size of the OLTP
transaction is material when it comes to operations.  My preference is to have
small transactions that don't have undefined sizes due to having no maximum
number of child hosts and no maximum number of domains linked to the child
hosts.

--

JG

James Gould