Arnt,

Thank you for your review and input.  I believe the content that you propose
would be best suited for an Implementation Considerations section.  There are
many options related to addressing the risk of registry database storage
issues, based on the chosen database and persistence toolkit.  I would revise
this to read as a consideration without the use of the normative MUST, since I
don't believe this recommendation is universally applicable to all
implementations (e.g., Relational Database with ORM, NoSQL Database).  How
about the following:

Storing of arbitrary user-supplied UTF-8 strings might not be preserved in the
database.  The following implementation considerations apply to ensuring that
the server preserves the UTF-8 string for the SMTPUTF8 compliant addresses:

1. Have the database field used for the SMTPUTF8 compliant addresses support
Unicode data types, such as the SQL NCHAR data types (NCHAR, NVARCHAR2, and
NCLOB).

2. As part of processing the <create> (Section 6.2.1) and <update> (Section
6.2.5) transform commands, read the SMTPUTF8 compliant address from the
database in the same way as processing the <info> command (Section 6.1.2),
compare the SMTPUTF8 complaint address read with that supplied in the transform
command using byte-by-byte comparison, and return an error if there is not a
match.

Are there any other considerations that apply to provide guidance to the
implementers?

Thanks,

--

JG

James Gould

Fellow Engineer

jgo...@verisign.com
<applewebdata://13890C55-AAE8-4BF3-A6CE-B4BA42740803/jgo...@verisign.com>

703-948-3271

12061 Bluemont Way

Reston, VA 20190

Verisign.com <http://verisigninc.com/>

On 2/28/24, 5:47 AM, "regext on behalf of Arnt Gulbrandsen"
<regext-boun...@ietf.org <mailto:regext-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of
a...@gulbrandsen.priv.no <mailto:a...@gulbrandsen.priv.no>> wrote:

Caution: This email originated from outside the organization. Do not click
links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content
is safe.

Hi,

I suggested some wording changes several months ago (new wording in

sections 3 and 6.2). It took me several tries to put together that wording,

and I quite like it: I think the database check requirement takes care of

John's worries in a practical way.

Arnt

> I fail at writing anything involving alternate addresses. My

> problem is that I think that if someone wants to use EAI and is

> required to supply an ASCII alternative, then there's a decent

> chance that they'll forward the ASCII alternative to their EAI

> address.

> Which implies that if you can't send email to an EAI address,

> want to communicate with the registrant and do it by sending

> mail to an ASCII forwarding address, communication will break

> down as soon as the registrant replies. That's feeble

> compatibility. A compatiblity feature should provide more than

> that, or else it should IMO be dumped.

> I see four options, and three of them are poor.

> 1. "EAI users MUST supply an ASCII address and MUST prefer

> ASCII when replying to mail" — unrealistic.

> 2. "Anyone who wants to send mail to a registrant MUST be able

> to receive a reply from an EAI address" — well, if they can

> receive, why not send?

> 3. "Anyone who sends mail to an ASCII alternate MUST be aware

> that a reply may not be possible through no fault of the

> registrant" — what sort of communication does that enable?

> 4. "Anyone who wants to send email to a registrant MUST be able

> to send mail to EAI addresses"

> The last is IMO the only workable option. EAI not that hard.

> All the top MTAs support that in their latest version. Postfix

> and Exim, Halon and Momentum, O365 and Gmail.

> So that's what I suggest.

c>

regext@ietf.org <mailto:regext@ietf.org>

https://secure-web.cisco.com/1pvQpPOz0CTsmBZMTJs94UR2ux4rjAvuT47jogWBoZa7uTgrDETFUewcWBIlzU4hArllw_sEU0Mb5uY3RjSRN7Vw7xTU421pg8q-Og0EiTb7AYv1oeL4Qo3u1ybvVy10DPGbh_Xr5WI0iE_1mWzLjsumka3JPW-zLk3jmLFmlw7UMZji3ASxSStRMowzlzwIekrgmzdaS1QUpv4xWOzk8DOZ6GrSaBpaDAqzl9czXb9ai-cyKmpYx33QGv7PwyerUBxEoeca5lKJUItpyyat5j--1jchhZncLrflmFJrRguI/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ietf.org%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fregext