On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 07:07:27AM +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> and in case of stat, link counts above a couple of hundreds is rarely
> important, so for most practical uses returning 65535 for counts above
> 65535 is perfectly fine.

Do you think returning 65535 is better than returning 1 for directories?

Last time this issue came up, the conclution was that some applications
(find) could potentially use nlink to optimize search for
subdirectories, but this optimization would be turned off if they found
nlink to be 1.

> > libc also will have to change, and that will probably make
> > problems for existing programs.
>
> libc is already using int for both stat and stat64.

Was this changed resently?
I'm pretty sure last time I looked at this I found that libc would have
to be changed...... maybe I just don't remember it correctly.

So for regular stat, 32 bits are used in app<->libc, but only 16 bit in
libc<->kernel? So if we change libc<->kernel interface, we can make 32
bit nlink work even for applications that use regular stat?
I suppose that's a long and painful thing to do, and not worth it since
stat64 is there anyway?

--
Ragnar Kjørstad
Big Storage