On Thursday, July 12, 2001 02:09:19 AM +0200 Dieter Nützel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hello Chris,
> > I have a chicken & egg problem with ReiserFS & LVM on an IDE RAID-0+1 > (Highpoint
>HPT370) with Linux 2.4.6-ac2+ and SuSE 7.2.
> Yes, SuSE 7.2 is 2.4.4 only but I think 2.4.6 (at least) is needed for a > "stable"
>(:-) ReiserFS system.  And most of all IDE RAID comes with > 2.4.6...:-)
> > I have to set up a file/mail server for a school and can play some time with > it.
> > System spec:
> AMD Duron 800 MHz
> Abit KT7-RAID
> (Note for all the IDE-RAID evangelists:
> It should be an MSI K7T-Turbo-R before but the IDE RAID ports of the MSI mobo > are
>on such bad locations that you have no chance with 4 UDMA 4/5 disks and > these
>stupid short UDMA cables. SCSI rules, here:-)
> 512 MB PC133 SDRAM
> 4 x Fujitsu MPG3204AT-E 20 GB with Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB)
> > Currently I have a running 2.4.6-ac2 kernel with RAID support (build on my > own
>system). It boots from floppy and find both, the HPT370 and the 40 GB 0+1 > RAID.
>What I need next is a floppy with all the kernel modules. When I have > it do you
>think I can get SuSE 7.2 running in anyway to set up the rest of > the system? With
>LVM?

Yes, I think that if you have a modules floppy with the proper mods you
will be able to get things working, with LVM.  I've never tried it though,
you might want to mail the suse support list (I rarely do fancy installs
any more, I just want a basic machine to code on ;-)

> > After the current Oracle discussion on LKM, do you think I should stay away > from
>ReiserFS together with LVM? Or is it only an issue with Oracle?

For some reason, reiserfs beats up on a bottleneck in LVM, and you see
this more with O_SYNC writes (reiserfs O_SYNC is faster without LVM).  But,
it sounds like andrea and the LVM guys are working on it, so I don't expect
it to be a problem much longer.  The transaction tracking patch I just
posted will help too, much more than any LVM changes.

-chris