David Lloyd wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> > Does the problem lie with tar/dd/etc?
>
> You could try:
>
> #! /usr/bin/perl
>
> my $count;
>
> while ($count++ < [a number of bytes]) {
>         `echo "1" >> some_file.test`
> }
>
> That could eliminate the dd, tar thing.

Yes, but dd should also work, even if one can avoid using it :)

Actually, Krys have hit an old bug in reiserfs which showed itself only
with first hunk of
ftp://ftp.namesys.com/pub/reiserfs-for-2.4/2.4.7.pending/2.4.7-plug-hole-and-pap-5660-pathrelse-fixes.dif,

which was going to clean up the code a bit.

Thanks,
vs