Hi,

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002 09:48:34 +0800
"darren" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

  |  Hi all,
  |
  |  I was just wondering if I should spend $$ (my company's of cos) on a
  |  NetApp filer...
  |
  |  OR
  |
  |  I just get one of the Dell 3650 doing nothing in the corner with RAID5
  |  and run Samba as a fileserver?
  |
  |  Anyone got any benchmarks to compare the two?
  |
  |  Is NetApp as good as its advertised?

We switched from NetApp to DELL ( PowerVault 210S ) mainly because of the $$ :o)

NetApp are really good but really expensive as well.So it depend how much value
you give to your data.

Netapp as well have tons of features that  linux boxes +PV210S can't do :Clustering
volume copy, out out the box snapshots,etc..

  |  Any comments on this setup is welcomed

Now i think DELL realease their 220S with 14 disks in a shelf so that would have the
bang
for your bucks. On the otherside, NetApp comes with a very nice , proprietary , OS
that's quite
simple to use.

So best price/performance => DELL
If you have unvaluable data => NetApp (+ backup :o)

  |  Regards
  |  Darren

Philippe.