On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 05:15:33 +0400, Hans Reiser said:

> What I had heard was that they generally slowed peformance, but maybe my
> info is old.

Even back in the days when an IBM RS6000-220 (66mz 601 chipset) was a "new"
machine, I found it actually gave a 20-30% total throughput boost, because
even if the CPU wasn't blazing fast, it was faster to read 3-5 512 byte
blocks off the disk and decompress them to get a 4K filesystem block than
it was to actually read all 8 512-byte blocks.  Among other things, you
get back half your disk throughput, so you can sustain twice the I/Os....
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer