Russell Coker wrote:

I'm running a number of machines with 2.4.20 and the ReiserFS journal patches.

One problem that has started occuring is that periodically some of the machines will go really slow for a while. It's as if the CPU speed has just dropped to 1% of it's regular speed. Then after 10 minutes or so it will continue as normal.

Has anyone heard of such things before?

Russell,

I am (was) running a vanilla 2.4.20 kernel and experienced a slow-down each night during virus scan. System would not respond to http during undefined moments. But rather repeatable each night, though each time at a different moment during the night. I've just rebooted into 2.4.19 to check whether its 2.4.20 or the results of hardware modification I did 2 weeks ago. System is lightly loaded. file systems in use mostly Reiserfs and a spattering of left-over ext2.

Cheers,

Rudy