On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 17:00:09 +0100, Russell Coker said:

> The problem with lead is that it's poisonous and soft.  Having to wash your
> hands after touching your computer could get annoying.

Been there, done that.  Had an experimental rig that for various reasons
meant that we had a old AT-class computer that had to be within 4-6 inches
of the beam in the accelerator (the actual constraint was a 18" tether one
end of which was in a memory slot and other end which was actually in the
beam).  We had a lot of problems with backscattered stuff, so we ended up
with a jacket that had a layer of lead to stop the high-energy stuff, but
that had a lot of thermal neutrons coming out of it, so there was a layer
of paraffin (I think, it's been close to 20 years now) to moderate those,
and then the paraffin emitted the occasional alpha and beta particles, so
there was a layer of metal foil to stop THOSE.

If I got some more caffeine into me, I might even be able to relate the
multiple layers needed for that rig to filesystem design. ;)