On Wed, 2003-07-02 at 14:53, Hans Reiser wrote:

> >This is called ordered data mode, and exists on ext3 and also reiserfs with
> >Chris Mason's patches.  Under normal usage it shouldn't change performance
> >compared to writeback data mode (which is what reiserfs does by default).
> >
> It had some impact, I forget exactly how much, maybe Chris can
> resuscitate his benchmark of it?

The major cost of data=ordered is that dirty blocks are flushed every 5
seconds instead of every 30.  The journal header patch in my
experimental data logging directory changes things so that only new
bytes in the file are done in data=ordered mode (either adding a new
block or appending onto the end of the file).

This helps a lot in the file rewrite tests.

-chris