Grant Miner wrote:

Szakacsits Szabolcs wrote:

How much memory you have? How big is mozilla-1.5a.tar? Did you include
'sync' in the tests? It seems reiser4 numbers are mostly in-memory
operations and not all data flushed to disk while this is apparently not
true for ext3. BTW, XFS numbers would be also/more interesting, ext[23] is
pretty outdated.

BTW, from your numbers it seems ext3 gives better overall performance.

Szaka

Good suggestion.  With ext3, 'sync' adds 10.2 seconds average to total
time (others about 1.6 sec).  Here is a list of averages, including sync
time.  Each fs was run 3 times.  Note that I did not count sync's cpu %
in cpu %.

xfs: average 44.3 seconds, 32% cpu
ext3: average 44.0 seconds, 27% cpu
r4: average 30.2 seconds, 39% cpu

I have 512MB memory.  File tree is about 295 MB.  This was just a "for
fun" test, and it probably not accurate.  I may try better ones later.

Expect the CPU time to drop a lot, because we first got rid of the IO consuming kruft, now we are getting rid of the CPU consuming kruft.

That is, expect it to drop up until we ship a compression plugin.....

Can you post your numbers on lkml also?

--
Hans