Good point, search engines as evidence. The problem is you're only
looking at distributions, which are going to be highly similar and you're
completely missing end users. So let us take this to a full search engine
and see what turns up...  Hmm, roughly a million hits, let us look at a
few samples:

http://www.metas.ch/
http://vancouver-webpages.com/META/mk-metas.html
http://www.metas.com.br/
http://metas.enfermeria21.com/
http://www.metas.com.mx/

Okay, out of one million hits, we randomly look at ten, and half feature
"metas" in the URL somewhere. Going the other direction, Google indexes
roughly 4 billion pages. If we guess the above search was representative,
roughly 500,000 pages will include "metas" somewhere in the URL, possibly
only as a hostname, but somewhere. So we've managed to collect 1 out of
every 10,000 pages that Google indexes. Though we don't have a direct
proof, I hope I've come close enough to scare you.

Quite true.. "..metas" or ".metas" would be the better choice..

Regards,
Cami