On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 09:42, Bernd Schubert wrote:
> Hello Chris,
>

> > As a comparison data point, could you please try 2.6.6-mm3?  I realize
> > you don't want to run this kernel in production, but it would tell us if
> > I understand the problems at hand.
>
> the results in 2.6.6-mm3 are below, we almost consider to run this kernel
> version.
>
> Here are two other interesting facts:
>
> 1.) During the filecreation in 2.4.26 the load on the system was around 3-4,
> whereas in 2.6.6-mm3 the load was at about 8-9.

Which procs contributed to this load?  The simple dd should have kept
the load at one.

> 2.) When the dd file creation process finished (2.4.26 was running) the system
> became so unresponsible, that the drdb connection timed out and a resync
> process automatically started when the system became responsible again. I
> don't have any comparism to 2.6.6-mm3 since we would need another drbd
> version. Also, I don't know if this happend when dd finished or when
> rm-started, since both were running from a script.

Probably the rm.

[ 2.6.6-mm3 is much faster ]

> Do you have any ideas how we could improve 2.4.x?

2.6.6-mm has a few key improvements.  There's less metadata
fragmentation thanks to some block allocator fixes.  More importantly,
during the rm, metadata blocks are read in 16 at a time instead of 1 at
a time.  I'd be happy to give someone pointers on porting the metadata
readahead bits back to 2.4.

-chris