On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 02:28:08AM -0400, Alexy Khrabrov wrote:

> I'd like to recover some files from a huge reiserfs file system.  It is
> created above an LVM volume, which in its turn sits on a RAID.  The LVM
> volume is the only one in a group which consists of the sole RAID device.
> I just deleted two files in a directory I know by name, the directory is
> still there.  No writing was done after the rm, except all files copied
> elsewhere and diff -r'ed checked, hope that does not alter the originals.
>
> Now I'd like to play with the dd copying of the whole reiserfs (I'm
> avoiding the word partition since it covers the whole logical volume
> which spans the whole RAID device).  I simply do not have space to copy
> the whole RAID, but the size of the used space on this reiserfs volume was
> under about 9 GB.  I wonder how can I copy just about that -- I assume it
> fills the logical volume contiguously, so I can dd the first 9 GB and then
> try the loopback mount/rebuild.  Now that I'm running it, it scrolls lines
>
> pass0: reading block 20626210 failed
>
> like crazy, perhaps up to the whole 150 GB original size declared
> somewhere...

yes, it is declared in the reiserfs superblock.

> Can I use resize_reiserfs on the loopback before running rebuild?
> Are there LVM methods to shrink it/copy just the used blocks in
> conjunction with reiserfs?

Before our reiserfsck master answers I can suggest reiserfsck --rebuild-sb, it
re-creates superblock and can change the declared fs size.  I hope your file
was on the first 9 GB.

Then run "reiserfsck --rebuild-tree --scan-whole-partition" and look at
lost+found dir for your file.

--
Alex.