> | No, not really, at least you (as a filesystem client) don't specify the
> | fibration when searching for an object. Yes, when the key is generated,
> of
> | course the fibration bits matter, but they simply come from a blackbox
> | plugin function that simply operates on the name and which may differ
> per
>
> Thus, a fibration plugin must rely on the name to decide how to fibrate
> something, because at lookup time, this plugin is asked "I'm looking for
> a file named foo, how is that fibrated?"
>
> | directory. As Hans pointed out, there may be an opportunity to offer
> some
> | explicit support for * via the syscall interface -- as to whether or
> not the
> | implementation would even involve fibration is open for discussion.
>
> It might.  If I'm looking for *.foo and fibration is by last character
> in filename, then the system knows to only look in the *o files.

Yes, which is where I started off. BTW, the default fibration plugin uses
the last filename character when period is the preceding character, though
that's the joy of plugins -- one can do whatever one wants!

> | yet, for me at least. There's still so much to learn about what's here.
>
> I agree.  I'd much rather get the practical things done -- a stable
> release, inclusion in distros, patches to common apps.
>
> Also, I think I want to reimplement (a subset of) Lustre using reiser4
> as a cache.  If I do any coding, it'll be on that.

I'll have to look into that more, too. So many things to do, so little time
to have fun.

David