Hans Reiser wrote on Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:43:13 -0700:
> Alexander G. M. Smith wrote:
> >Are you sneaking in file types there?  Just how does a file know which
> >plugins it supports?
>
> we have plugins with pluginids, is that what you mean by file type? I
> think they are a bit different from file types.

>From your white-paper: "Every file possesses a plugin id, and every
directory possesses a plugin id.  This plugin id will identify a set
of methods."

Functionally this is very close to a file type.  It classifies the
files into related groups, maybe not as finely as a MIME file type
which can distinguish between multiple varieties of text files.

A file type would tell us that a file is a text file and can be opened
by certain applications (text/e-mail can be opened by e-mail reader,
text editor, etc) and have other properties (lists of standard
attributes, default icon).  A plugin ID says that the file can use text
related plugins (like a word count, or XML structure as a subdirectory).

In both cases there is a global repository (I assume) that associates
the file type or plugin ID with a list of things about it.

You could combine the two concepts, just have a file type ID that in the
global repository specifies what plugins it can use as well as the
userland properties (MIME string, etc) of that kind of file.  Or at least
make the type ID available to userland so it can be used there.

Or is this binding irrelevant?  How often does the file type the user
sees not match the plugins desired for the file?  Or can a new subtype
be defined for just that file?  Which may mean that we need something
better than MIME strings for types (something which has inheritance).

- Alex