On Thursday 18 November 2004 06:07, David Masover wrote:

I was talking about perception.  People already have Windows, therefore
they already have Windows Defrag.  It's "free" in the sense that
Internet Explorer is "free".  Imagine how little Firefox's market share
would be if it cost money.  Notice how they can afford a full-page ad in
the New York Times.  Not that it's infallible, just that I don't see a
better business plan right now, biased as I am (I'm an end-user).

[...]

Sure, people know Windows, on the other hand Linux is known for not having a big problem with filesystem fragmentation.

http://www.willsmith.org/opensource/reiser4/fragperf/test1/
As Reiser4 seems to do a lot better than ext3. A repacker is nice
to have but it will only be a requirement for big businesses.
Big businesses are usually using some kind of enterprise linux.
Maybe Hans is able to strike a deal with some Linux distributors
to allow for a repacker inclusion into their enterprise server
product line.

No Namesys, no reiser4, no need for a repacker ;-)

One thing that I care more about is that Hans mentioned the resizer in his e-mail. A feature which I can't live without.

[FYI: cut from another e-mail, this is a user called "Spam"]

Windows 2000 and later comes with a lite version of Diskeeper from Executive Software.

[This is Hans answer]
MS charges for the OS, so that business model works for them. Nobody will buy a heavy resizer from us if there is a lite one. That would be as likely to happen as their buying a support contract. The lite software is reiser4 without a resizer.

Such is my feel of the market.

/Andreas