On 11/16/04 23:55:53, Kacper Wysocki wrote:
Hello,

I decided to try out reiser4 yesterday, when I got a new harddrive
for my laptop. In the process, I had some terrible problems, and gave
up after a good full day of trying to make it work.
[snip]
Steps to reproduce: run 'apt-get update' (or any apt-get command
really, and some other apps as well). 'apt-get update' will fetch all
the index files and then oops on 'reading package lists..' First time
after reboot: recoverable kernel oops. Second time: process enters
unkillable sleep, as does strace and gdb when attempting to attach to
it.
[snip]

Hi,

I'm replying to my own message here, but I made some progress on this today: after basically restoring the filesystem again, I used the missing context fix patch from the thread
"Re: 2.6.10-rc2-mm1: oops when accessing reiser4 fs's(maybe fix provided)" on this very same list, since Mathieu Segaud seemed to have problems similar to mine. This did indeed fix my bootup oopsing problems, however the filesystem still oopses+segfaults some important applications - ie apt-get as described in the previous post.

I'm not posting the new (slightly different)oops here, as I noticed that the previous oopses were a little hard to read due to all the syslog crap, and I'm not sure anyone's interested, since I did not receive any replies to my previous post. Also, my reiserfs (v3) partition seems to be working fine
(this mere fact rules out a corrupted file system due to usb tranfer errors and most possibilities of physical problems with my new harddrive).

However, should anyone more knowledgable about reiser4 have any ideas as to what's causing this oops, I'd be more than happy to debug a little further.

Cheers,
Kacper