On Tuesday 23 November 2004 10:53, Philippe Gramoullé wrote:

>  Hello,
>
> Currently we use some Linux NFS servers with 2.4.25 kernel patched to
support quotas.

> Since we face some I/O issues, i'd like to try out a 2.6.x kernel but quota
support is mandatory.

> So my question: is quota support for 2.6.x ( 2.6.9 and above preferably)
available and considered stable enough
> to be used in heavy production environment ( high I/O pretty much 24/24 ) ?
>
> If yes, which kernel do i need, and where can i find the quota patches ?
>
> I've found some old quota patch (for 2.6.5 from march 2004) on Chris Mason
suse FTP experimental directory and i also
> saw that Jan Kara has posted several quota patches recently.
>
> Thanks for a quick update on this topic.
>
> Truly yours,
>
> Philippe
>
> --
>
> Philippe Gramoullé <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> System & Network Administrator
> Lycos Europe

Quotas are in kernel 2.6 and supported by ext2,ext3,reiserfs,xfs.
Reiserfs doesn't need an extra patch for quotas, data journalling
or extended attributes. Everything is right there for
kernels > 2.6.5 if I remember right.

Jan Kara from SuSE labs recently discoverd a deadlock in the linux
quota system, see:
I guess it would be wise to wait with the migration till these patches
make it into some official 2.6 kernel release.

--
lg, Chris