On Wednesday 15 December 2004 21:30, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Regarding the new release of reiser4progs:
>
> it's unclear to me from the release announcement whether prevoius versions
> of reiser4progs correctly backup superblocks or not. You imply it's been
> corrected - so it wasn't working before?

blocks were reserved but the content was not correct.

> i.e. if I had previously used libaal 1.0.2, and my superblock got
> corrupted, could I rebuild it from teh backup if upgarded to 1.0.3?

no, backup will not be found. both versions will recover the super block
in the same way -- 1.0.2 does not take the backup into account at all;
1.0.3 will not find the backup on your fs -- however 1.0.3 will also fix
the backup.

> I'm asking because recently that's exactly what happened to me. My disc is
> failing due to hardware level problems, the superblock is wrecked, it won't
> mount, and I need to recover my stuff!
>
> In a final rescue effort, I've updated to 1.0.3, but if I run fsck.reiser4
>  --build-sb, I get:
>
> [...]
> Warn : A new master superblock is created on '/dev/hdd1'.
> Enter the key plugin name [key_large]:
> Error: Can't read bitmap block 18. Input/output error.
> Error: Can't load ondisk bitmap.
> Error: Can't initialize block allocator.
> Fatal: Failed to open the block allocator.

io error on the block # 18 (4k size).

> Can anyone tell me what it means? Is the problem to do with reiser4
> superblocks or is the disk so buggered it can't write the table anymore?

it looks like the disk problem, look into your syslog for more info.

--
Thanks,
Vitaly Fertman