Matthias Andree wrote:

Spam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

 In any case. Undelete has been since ages on many platforms. It IS a
 useful feature. Accidents CAN happen for many reasons and in some
 cases you may need to recover data.

Besides, a deletion does not fully remove the data, but just unlinks
it. In Reiser where there is tailing etc for small files this can be
a problem. Either the little file might not be able to be recovered
(shouldn't the data still exist, even if it is tailed), or the user
need to use a non-tailing policy?

A working undelete can either hog disk space or die the moment some large write comes in. And if you're at that point, make it a versioning file system

Well, yes, it should be one.....

darpa is paying for views, add in a little versioning and.....

- but then don't complain about space efficiency.

This is an area where apple was smarter than Unix. Having a trash can is what real users need, more than they need performance..

Yes, there is a high performance cost, but so long as it can be turned off/ avoided, the cost is acceptable.

I would however auto-empty the trash can when space got low....

well, overwritten data is not so easy to get back. But from what I
understand in Linux, is that many applications actually write
another file and then unlinks the old file? If that is the case then
it may even be possible to get back some overwritten files!

I see enough applications to just overwrite an output file.

This whole discussion doesn't belong here until someone talks about
implementing a whole versioning system for reiser4.

Well, it hasn't been coded solely because we haven't gotten around to it what with all else that needs doing and still needs doing. Remind me about this in a year.:)

Hans