Grzegorz JaÅkiewicz wrote:

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 08:40:51 -0800, Hans Reiser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Fixing hash collisions in V3 to do them the way V4 does them would
create more bugs and user disruption than the current bug we have all
lived with for 5 years until now. If someone thinks it is a small
change to fix it, send me a patch. Better by far to fix bugs in V4,
which is pretty stable these days.

As I understeand, tea hash is based on tea (tiny encryption aglo), which was the cause of xbox-linux sucess, and few others. Pleas consider updating it to use xxtea algo. I know, it won't be backward compatbile, but well. Where is about all the others, I don't use them, and for me tea is the only resonable hash to use on systems where I have very much great number of files per directory (to name it, Maildirs). Never had such problem myself, every hash function has a weaknes. Nothing new. But providing another, much stronger hash, or correct tea hash to use xxtea, would be something good indeed.

Edward, please look into whether we should use xxtea in Reiser4, and make a recommendation to me. We aren't changing V3, it is stable and I want to leave it that way.

Hans