Shannon wrote:
> I haven't received a reply to this, so I'm going to be more specific:
>
> When you create an encrypted partition, where is this configuration stored?
>
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 02:48 pm, Shannon wrote:
>
>>/             10GB    Reiser
>>/home 40GB    Reiser encrypted FS

v3 or 4?  Or, how are you encrypting your FS?

Look at your boot scripts, and your initrd if you have one.  You almost
certainly have to remember a passphrase and back up a key.  In any case,
if you are looking for the file, you might want to ask SuSe.

This only becomes a Reiser issue if you're using the reiser4 crypto
plugin, and I haven't heard anything about that being done.  If you are
encrypting a ReiserFS v3 filesystem, you are probably not using anything
Reiser specific -- it's probably something like cryptoloop or dm-crypt,
in which case you should google for those.

>>/swap 300mb
>>

>>As per the harddrive configuration, if my / partition becomes corrupted or
>>if I choose to install a fresh copy of SuSe9.2 Pro over / and remount
>>/home, what do need to backup or how do I backup the files needed to
>>restore the encrypted partition /home

Do you mean "remount" or "reformat"?  If you are going to wipe out /home
and reformat, you don't need to do anything other than back up the files
in /home.  If you are planning to wipe out / and reinstall, but keep
/home, the config file you're looking for is /etc/fstab.

That still doesn't tell you how to deal with the encryption, though.
Until you can tell people what kind of encryption system you're using,
no one will be able to help you, and the ReiserFS list will probably
assume it's not their problem.