On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 09:28:50 CDT, Dan Oglesby said:

> latest versions.  Took two days to run, but it completed, and I ended up
> only losing 2 files out of over 1.1 million files on a 1TB RAID-5
> array.  That's not too bad, considering how many times the machine went
> up and down due to bad power in the building.

Buy a UPS. Now.  Even if it's just a big battery that will only keep you
running for 10 mins - at least that will give you enough time to do a clean
shutdown -h rather than get stuff trashed.

If you can't get money for it, just point at the lost-productivity costs
the *next* time the terabyte takes 2 days to recover.. and remind the boss that
you could be down for 2 days every time the lights flicker.. ;)