M wrote:

Hello

On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 12:08, M wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to copy a reiserfs filesystem from a pata drive to a sata
drive
(both reiserfs) and the kernel panics every time I try with an error
similar to the below:

Jun 14 07:10:41 localhost kernel: Linux version 2.6.12-rc6 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
(gcc version 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-8)) #5 Mon Jun 13 20:03:38 BST 2005

Jun 14 07:14:36 localhost kernel: REISERFS: panic (device sda2):
journal-2332: Trying to log block 471, which is a log block
This means that you have a filesystem corruption. Would you try to
reiserfsck sda2?

Reiserfsck says the filesystem is very broken...

I just tested ext2 on the drive and it also fails. So sorry this looks
like a driver/drive problem. It looked convincingly like the drive was
working OK.

If anyones interested it's a VIA VT6420 SATA RAID Controller set to IDE
mode i.e. not raid.

Hi,

FYI I've got the drive working, it seems that the connector or port on the motherboard is at fault, the second connector works fine. The drive passes the hardware test from seagate in the first port but suffers from strange and not always repoducable behaviour such as partition sizes and types not being consistant with what was written, file systems corrupt, unable to mount a freshly created partition...

--
Thanks for your help,