Hello

David Masover wrote:
Vladimir V. Saveliev wrote:

Hello

reiser4 depends on several core kernel patches. I think you did not
apply them.

What kind of symptoms would not applying them cause?

I assumed that Gimpel did not apply core patches because he had compiling error:
fs/built-in.o(.text+0x92999): In function `reiser4_put_super': undefined
reference to `rcu_barrier'.

However, the problem is that some changes are to be done to get reiser4 to work
in new realtime/preempt kernels.

I grab patches
from -mm, but only the ones with "reiser4" in the name.  They seem to
work with minimal tweaking on my part, and no one said anything when I
mentioned this before.  They do seem solid...

You go right way.

You might want to try to apply this patch
ftp://ftp.namesys.com/pub/reiser4-for-2.6/2.6.12/reiser4-for-2.6.12-realtime-preempt-2.6.12-final-V0.7.51-29.patch.gz

Should I get patches from there, instead of -mm, in the future?  Which
is more likely to be current for a given *stable* kernel,
reiser4-for-2.6 or -mm?

reiser4-for-2.6 contains code which did not get enough stability yet.