michael chang wrote:
On 8/15/05, Marc Perkel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

It seems to me that getting in the Kernel is the most important thing.

This is because nothing else can happen because no one will know it
exists. Everything else will happen *as soon as* Reiser4 gets in. Otherwise, it's practically useless.

Then getting it compatible with existing standards. Then you build up

But then you're basically rewriting ext2 or 3.  There's no point in that.

the user based (addicts) and then you add the innovative stuff.

You do this first, because it's what sets you appart.  Otherwise,
people won't convert away from EXT2/3.  Priorities first.

Otherwise people are going to use Ext3 because it has ACLs and Reiser4
doesn't. That's where I'm at. If it doesn't do ACLs it doesn't work. I
need acls.

So why fix something that isn't broken?  Just because one person who
uses ACLs doesn't use Reiser4 right away doesn't mean he won't use it
later.  Compare the number of people who use Ubuntu Linux (who won't
support Reiser4 until it's vanilla) and other Vanilla kernels, to the
number of ACL users.  The numbers matter.

The way I see it - and I may well be missing something - s that the
current API is just a way of talking to the security layer. So why not
support multiple ways to talk to it?

There is nothing wrong with this idea. It's just time consuming. It's not done, yet (for Reiser4). If someone is willing to pay the
time/sweat or the money to get it done, it will be done.  Otherwise,
it won't.  Simple as that.

And, just to clarify, people are willing to pay the money for the time/sweat that it takes to implement the nice, clean, new ways of doing things like ACLs and xattrs. I don't think anyone's willing to spend money (yet) to get the old things working -- no point.

I'm betting that at some point, there's going to be a question of the amount of time it'd take to rewrite an existing project vs. adding the xattrs compatibility layer, and that layer will be easier to do, because someone has a rediculously un-modular system. But not soon, and not before it's in the vanilla kernel.

Completely offtopic, inane comment follows:

"Vanilla" should really be called "Essence of Madagascar Orchid", or some such. It is, in fact, one of the most exotic tastes on the planet. Read up at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla_%28orchid%29

So, the Vanilla kernel should never be seen as something boring ;)