On Sat, 2005-08-27 at 20:01 -0400, Jeff Mahoney wrote:

> Ming Zhang wrote:
> >> Yes, any buffers/pages with active reference counts are kept in memory.
> >> Since the current reiserfs bitmap implementation keeps a reference until
> >> filesystem umount, the bitmaps are pinned.
> > so u always keep a reference on all bitmap pages and thus they can not
> > be umounted. yes, by this way it can be pretty fast to do any meta-data
> > operation. but what if current RAM can not hold these bitmap. maybe u
> > think if i want to use tens of TB storage, i of course will have 32GB
> > RAM. :P
>
> That's been the argument Hans has been presenting so far. I tend to
> disagree with it for several reasons:
> * It used to be unheard of for huge filesystems to be accessible to
> users without high priced RAID arrays. Now, with individual disk
> capacities over 500 GB and the ease of software raid, multiple-TB
> filesystems are quite possible on a desktop machine. These machines, as
> desktops, have no need for 32 GB of RAM, but have a very real demand for
> large storage.

yes, i have a 12*400GB SATA MD raid that want to store my huge number of
pictures (i am not a good photographer, but a quick shooter.) all these
files are named as DSCxxxxxx.jpg but not continuous since some are
really bad so deleted. so i jump out these questions to stress the
scalability of fs.

> * We don't cache any other metadata (other than the superblock, which is
> standard practice) specially. In a mostly-reader environment, bitmaps
> would rank very low in importance for caching.

could u explain a bit more on what is the purpose of these bitmaps? what
is the relationship between these bitmap and other metadata?

> In short, we shouldn't be demanding that users of large storage also
> have loads of memory for what I feel is a very shaky argument in the
> first place.

assumed i have 2GB or 4GB ram, which is not unbelievable for a desktop
now. but can these RAM be used by 32BIT arch?

> >> My dynamic bitmap patch fixes both of the problems you've posed so far.
> >> Mount time is reduced to O(1) time, since only the superblock and root
> >> node are read at mount time. On my system, it's something along the
> >> lines of 0.2s. Memory consumption is reduced also, because the bitmap
> >> block is released after the allocation/free that required it is complete.
> > ic. this is like a delayed lazy allocation.
>
> If I understand you correctly, you're referring to allocate-on-flush,
> which is a different idea entirely. What the dynamic bitmap patch does
> is similar to what most other filesystems do -- treat the bitmaps as any
> other kind of metadata is treated and read it on-demand.

yes, sorry, it is not lazy allocation. it is load (into ram) on-demand
or lazy load.

> Allocate-on-flush allows the filesystem to wait until the last possible
> moment to allocate the space on disk, which makes performance a little
> nicer, but more importantly, allows the allocator to allocate entire
> chunks of a file rather than a block-at-a-time.

are u talking about allocating space after that file content is cached
in RAM and before need to be flushed? this is then like a write-any file
system that you can write to a place where it is still continuous and
near to current disk head (though latter is hard to achieve since it is
hidden by LVM/MD/...).