On 9/2/05, Łukasz Mierzwa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dnia Fri, 02 Sep 2005 09:19:55 +0200, Hans Reiser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> napisał:
> > It could probably be a lot less than 5%, 2% is more than enough I would
> > guess, but we also need to reserve space to get good performance.
> Maybe You can make it an mkfs.reiser4 option, set 5% to default so it won't
> change anything to 99% of people using reiser4 but will make that 1% that
> want some other value happy.

What would be really nice would be to have two options, a reserved
amount, and a root reserved amount at mkfs time. The behaviour of the
ext2/3 filesystem allows you to reserve some portion of the disk for
root use. This prevents various unpleasant system failure modes when a
user task goes nuts and fills the disk. It would be even more nice if
rather than root/nonroot if it could be controlled by a
capability/selinux context so you could make it so syslog can't write
into that safe buffer..

But it's kinda moot at this point, mainline inclusion must be the
highest priority right now.