On Monday 24 October 2005 19:08, Edward Shishkin wrote:
> John Gilmore wrote:
> > How are plugin/file
> >relationships handled without it?
>
> For the first time there will be an option in mkfs to assign a file
> plugin for regular files per superblock.
> Then (if everything will be okay) we will granulate the relationship.
>
> Edward.

So the first beta of compression will only have the option to control it at
mkfs time? And then later on, compression control and status information will
be available on a per-file (or per-directory) basis via a user-space tool
operating on mounted filesystems? Which tool will also be extendable to
control and give status information (where applicable) on other types of
plugins?

Is there a page that I could go to - some sort of "Major feature changes" page
- to see what the current status of the filesystem is? To answer such
questions as "Is compression ready for beta?" and "what the heck happened to
file-as-directory?" and "I saw mention of a test of the reiser4 repacker, and
also mention of compile problems with repacker.c, which definitely doesn't
exist in MY version of resier4 - what gives?" (though I've concluded that
that last one must be somebodies copy of alpha software...)