On 10/25/05, Sander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> That will kill performance badly. First of all the two read/writes
> needed, and second because you have to seek from one end to the disk to
> the other every time you read/write something.

Kill it worse for writes than a filesytem without wandering logs? I
don't think so, since they double write in any case... Since reiser4
defers flushes you don't end up seeking all over the disk, you will
write out a nice long queue, then a little seeking to ripple up the
transaction(s).

Reading will not be harmed since we will expect the underlying disk to
report read failures.

> And what is the advantage? You are not protected against a lot of disk
> failures (only against bad blocks, right?).

Badblocks have become the most common non-transient failure mode of
disks by far.

> There is a lot more advantage in buying two disks and do raid over them.
> This is (much) cheaper, gives better performance and gives more
> protection.

Cheaper how? Two disks are cheaper than one?

> Anyway, no need for a plugin. You can just divide your disk in two
> partitions and configure them as a raid1.
>
> Or am I missing something in your suggestion?

If I do not want, and can not afford, that level of protection for all
my data, but only some, RAID-1 is a very wasteful solution.