Reiserfs partitions, when resized; the beginning MUST stay fixed.
This limitation also applies to ext2/3 filesystems.  The only
filesystem I know of in which the front of the filesystem can be moved
is FAT; which can't be practically used for linux, IIRC.

The solution is to make partitions as early on the disk as you'll ever
need and put everything else at the tail end (e.g. FAT at the tail
end).  IIRC, LVM should also be able to manage around this; although I
don't remember perfectly.

--
~Mike
 - Just my two cents