Vladimir V. Saveliev wrote:
Hello

Artur Makówka wrote:
Hello, i've been investigating this problem for few weeks, and it seems
reiser4 can be reason for this.

My apache process is from no clear reason suddenly peaking to 95% CPU
usage and it stays that way until i kill it and start again.

It happens 6-7 times a day, i have hosting services on my server. I
thought it was apache fault, but it strings shows this:

[pid 31610] munmap(0xb6f29000, 729088)  = 0
[pid 31610] mmap2(NULL, 729088, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE,
MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0xb6f29000
[pid 31610] munmap(0xb6f29000, 729088)  = 0
[pid 31610] mmap2(NULL, 729088, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE,
MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0xb6f29000

in endless loop, when this strange 'lock' happens.

is it a problem of fd -1 ?

-1 is fine because MAP_ANONYMOUS is set.

of course that could be also apache bug, that
it can't handle wrong fd number, but why there is wrong fd number?

they are using MAP_ANONYMOUS, fd is ignored in that case.

i ran reiser4.fsck and it didnt help.

what did reiser4.fsck report? No corruptions found?

i use kernel 2.6.12.6 with latest 2.6.12 reiser4 patch, as it seemed the
most stable from recent releases.

What could be the problem here, and how can i repair it ? should i keep
running fsck.reiser4 until it finds it ?

it doesnt happen very often, but like i said 6-7 times a day, but it
varies, sometimes it more often sometimes almost 0.

thanks in advance for response. (this is probably not Apache issue, i
already asked for this many many times)

so far it does not look as reiser4 problem either.

Flex, can we have apache server running on reiser4 for test purposes?

this happens only sometimes, and changing to latest 2.6.14 kernel and reiser4 patch didnt help.

i suppose it would be hard to simulate this, i get only few such errors per day and its pretty busy server (and i never get these at night which means the fact that its busy is important i guess)

no idea if its reiser4, but that was my thought... maybe not, i don't know

any suggestions to what i should do next , when changing to never kernel/fs didn't help? i will run fsck.reiser4 --build-fs tonight, but if this wont help i have no idea