Hi to the list,

I'm using reiserfs v3 in my root partition of my debian testing system
for 3 years without a single problem. It's a quite common 32bit pc.

Since a week (approximately when I began to use 2.6.15.1, don't know
if it matters though) I beginned to see strange errors like this:

  kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
  kernel: hda9: rw=0, want=42762504, limit=14201397
  kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
  kernel: hda9: rw=0, want=42762504, limit=14201397
  kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
  kernel: hda9: rw=0, want=42762504, limit=14201397

and this:

  ReiserFS: warning: is_tree_node: node level 24111 does not match to
the expected one 1
  ReiserFS: hda9: warning: vs-5150: search_by_key: invalid format
found in block 1960. Fsck?
  ReiserFS: hda9: warning: vs-13070: reiserfs_read_locked_inode: i/o
failure occurred trying to find stat data of [172 59564 0x0 SD]

The first time I ran "reisefsck --rebuidl-tree" and corrected all the
errors. After few day I had again those errors, so I thinked that my
HD was at the end of his life. However I have another debian system on
the same disk that works without problems. I rebuilt the tree 3 times
this week but after some usage I get again those errors (and often the
system become instable).

I've ran smartctl (my IDE disk supports smart) but it didn't find any
error even doing the short and the long tests.

Then I thinked about badblocks, I've read the faq on the namesys site
so I ran "badbloks -b 4096 /dev/hda9" but no badblocks where found
(there was no output at all).

I've cheked all the other partitions and they have no error. The
partition which gived errors is the only reiserfs on this disk. So,
maybe my disk is damaged, but how can I be sure it isn't a software
problem if neither smartctl and badblocks can find any error? Is there
some other check I can do?

If it can help here is debugreiserfs output on the damaged partition:

# debugreiserfs /dev/hda9
debugreiserfs 3.6.19 (2003 www.namesys.com)

Filesystem state: consistent

Reiserfs super block in block 16 on 0x309 of format 3.6 with standard journal
Count of blocks on the device: 1775168
Number of bitmaps: 55
Blocksize: 4096
Free blocks (count of blocks - used [journal, bitmaps, data, reserved]
blocks): 384382
Root block: 8690
Filesystem is clean
Tree height: 5
Hash function used to sort names: "r5"
Objectid map size 158, max 972
Journal parameters:
        Device [0x0]
        Magic [0x1e79a00]
        Size 8193 blocks (including 1 for journal header) (first block 18)
        Max transaction length 1024 blocks
        Max batch size 900 blocks
        Max commit age 30
Blocks reserved by journal: 0
Fs state field: 0x0:
sb_version: 2
inode generation number: 5725378
UUID: be002094-1df2-415b-8f12-f0f199c6390c
LABEL:
Set flags in SB:
        ATTRIBUTES CLEAN

Any hit is welcome, tell me if you need further informations.

Best Regards,

  ~ Antonio