To amplify what Hans (accurately) wrote, once you see bad sectors, that means that you already have many more than you see, and that your hard drive is all out of spare sectors to silently swap out for when it finds one.

Basically, there's so much wrong with the surface that your hard drive can't hide any more flaws, and has given up trying.

Hans is right: If you see a single bad sector, the drive is considered unsafe and trash for even the tightest owner.

--Clay

Hans Reiser wrote:
Wow, are we at last actually stable enough that hardware errors are more
of a problem than software errors for our Reiser4 users?

Rudekjan, you have a bad sector, buy a new drive, use dd_rescue to copy
to it, don't run reiser4.fsck until you get the data onto the new
drive.  Why buy a new drive?  Because after the first user visible bad
sector, your odds of more bad sectors over time go WAY up.  Your
time+data are too valuable.....

Hans

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

i'm again... here are some more informations. i haven't encrypted my data and
the error above the reiser4 panic is:

end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 64412

hope thats help finding the bug

greets

Jan