Are there any estimates of when the repacker and compression plugins
will be available / stable?

I'd like to add a "me too".

I've been watching the work of Hans and co. with great interest for several years. The performance and design of Reiser4 is very impressive. But for me, improved performance is not enough compensation for the pain of switching to a "non-standard" filesystem.

Compression and encryption, on the other hand, are a killer feature. No matter how many hard drives I buy, I never have have enough space, and there are no existing encryption solutions for Linux that are well integrated into the OS. Even Windows XP has better filesystem security, as much as it pains me to say.

When the cryptocompress feature is ready, I will no doubt be taking a long weekend off and converting all of my Linux machines to reiser4.