On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 13:55 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hello folks.
>
> i am using slackware linux(2.6.14 with reiser4 patch) on x86_64 and was
> trying to install free_bsd on a separate partition.
> well, during that instalation , accedentualy i have pressed a wrong key , so
> my partition table is owerriten by something else , but i realized this
> streight away and stopped the instalation process .

I once did this by running fsck.reiser4 on the whole disk, instead of on
the first partition.

luckily, I wrote down what was in /proc/partitions, and reconstructed
the partition table with help from hexedit to check the exact alignment
of the partitions.

As for the first partition on the disk, I had let fsck.reiser4 run to
completion, fixing thousands of errors, with the various rebuild options
turned on. Obviously this had caused a lot of damage to the file system,
with it being off-set from the beginning of the disk. Amazingly
re-running fsck.reiser4 on the actual partition seemed to do the trick,
leaving only a few libraries corrupt.

Quick tip: I found that about 0x11044 bytes in from the beginning of a
Reiser4 partition, you find the string "ReIsEr40FoRmAt". I am sure other
file systems have similar magic strings which can be searched for using
hexedit, enabling the partition table to be fixed.

--
Craig Shelley
EMail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]