Jonathan Briggs writes:
On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 07:34 -0800, Joachim Feise wrote:
[...]
This is a production machine that I can't take offline for too long.
But yes, I have compiled the kernel on another reiser4 partition over night,
without problems.
If this was a memory problem, it would indeed manifest itself in other areas
with more or less random errors. The fact that it does not indicates to me that
this is a fs problem. So, at this point I am ruling out a memory issue.

And if it's a production machine, it is using ECC RAM, I would hope.  If

Indeed, it does. Dell gets that right on server machines, at least... I have now recreated the fs on that partition, and played the data back from backup, and it works fine. I have made a copy of the old partition with dd, to be able to run some more tests when I have time.
-Joe