Hi!

I had the same problem about a year ago with a 0.8TB drive, you may
check some list archives for the details.

The solution was a patch to the reiserfsprogs which was then
incorporated in version 3.6.19. I am not familiar with the details as I
only supplied the information and Vladimir did the work but I can only
repeat what was said - abort current fsck and retry with latest tools
(3.6.19 should be sufficent, I can't tell about 3.6.20).

As for your concerns, it's correct that when you abort the current fsck
it will result in an unmountable FS but you can repair it with another
run. I doubt there is any way to make the current fsck to contnue except
maybe some weird magic hack into the running program ;-). If there are
chances to loose data in this process - I'm not the expert but I think
an abort is not that critical - at least at that stage where reiserfsck
is in an endless loop. With my problem I had some minor data corruption
issues afterwards but I think that was because of the primary fault -
the RAID controller had RAM errors and the RAID consistency was broken
which resulted in the corrupted FS. Then after several fsck tries,
superblock reconstruction etc. I was surprised how much was still intact
(far less than 1% of data was corrupted) but I think this doesn't apply
to you as it's not any guarantee.

Have a nice day,
Konstantin