On Sunday 16 April 2006 01:25, Paul Pluzhnikov wrote:
> Paul Pluzhnikov wrote:
> > Running with '--fix-fixable' finds the same errors, and says
> > that it fixed them; but running again finds the same problem again.
>
> Additional clues: the FS (being version 3.5) does not support files over
> 2GB.
>
> All 3 files with the problem are a result of a (recent) program
> attempting to create a file that is larger than 2GB.

Yup. This hit me a few weeks ago. The general concensus is that 3.5 is so old,
it should've been upgraded long ago. I guess not too many people follow the
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it" adage.

At best it's a major PITA. At worst it's s security risk, as anyone who can
write large files can cause DoS and potentially data loss and/or corruption.

The problems don't become really apparent until the file gets close to 4GB in
attempted size. Seems the 3.6 driver, even though it knows it is writing to a
3.5 FS, doesn't return an error to the user program when it reaches 3.5's 2GB
limit.

You're lucky; you got kernel messages. I only got a silent reboot once; the
rest of the time, the system completely hung. But I was able to rebuild the
tree and get the FS to a stable condition and back it up to other drives,
then reformat to 3.6. I only had 60GB or so to split up among three locations
(one of which is a Win-XP laptop) to back it up.

I would suggest fscking another time or two. If that doesn't get you access to
the FS, you might try rebuilding the tree. But first, determine how
expendable your data are; if you can afford to lose it, plug away. If not,
wait for one the experts here to pipe up.

Hmmm, it was my /home, too. Coincidence? LOL.

Neal