On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 14:19 -0400, Jeff Mahoney wrote:

> Hans Reiser wrote:
> > There should be no possible fragmentation that would increase CPU usage
> > like that.  With the current algorithms, in which you check one field in
> > the bitmap to see if it has any free blocks, it should not be possible
> > for scanning bitmaps to take so much time......
> >
> > There must be a bug in there.
>
> I'm sure there is, but it's a bug that others don't seem to be seeing,
> including myself, and Mike reported he's not experiencing the problem
> anymore. Given my current workload, unless I can readily reproduce it
> locally, this takes a low priority for me.

Jeff, I'm sure there are at least 5 other people seeing the same or
similar symptoms of the problem on the MythTV mailing list:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/208573?do=post_view_threaded

The common factors are high load and ReiserFS.

So far I can re-create the problem at will, I just need to record enough
programs so my free space falls below 10% for it to happen. However
since the box that is experiencing the issue does recordings for other
people I have to clear off enough space so the problem goes away between
trying to track down the bug. Unfortunately I got a little delete happy
this last round and deleted 70gb worth of data.

So I've setup 40hrs of recording to be done in 20hrs (two tuners) which
should trigger the problem again by tonight or tomorrow morning at the
latest. Once that happens I will take a metadata snapshot and email it
off to you.

I'll be sure to not free up so much space from now on so I can re-create
the problem in just a couple hours in case you need to me to collect
additional data.

If I get a chance I'll attempt to make a script that re-creates the
problem too.

--
Mike Benoit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>