Clay Barnes wrote:

>I have been thinking lately that though we certainly need to do
>cleanup of the various bugs and such relating to the storage layer,
>perhaps now is a good time to review and discuss the plans for the
>semantic layer so that any outstanding concerns can be thouroughly
>discussed and resolved before we get close to time to start with actual
>work on that portion of Reiser4.  Remember, we have a real chance at
>being the first semantic storage system with a significant user base,
>and that places a terrible pressure for perfection on us (and I use 'us'
>loosely, since I don't have nearly the code skills in C needed to dare
>touch source in non-trivial ways---I hope however that between my CS and
>Linguistics degrees, I'll be able to at least contribute some ideas).
>If we're first out of the gate, but we have some significant flaw in
>design, we're deeply endangered.  People will wait for our correction of
>it (which may be impossible if it's a fundamental or debated problem),
>or for another system that has less critical flaws.
>
>These are my cricial concerns.  I know some of these have been addressed
>before, but this keeps anything from being skipped under the assumption
>that they've already been resolved.
>1) Scope
>  a) Should the semantic content of files be purely user-defined?

Yes.

>  b) Should the full extricable content of a file be read into semantic
>  space?

If the user wants that.   The user should configure his auto-indexer
that he has selected to work as he desires and to be applied to those
files he desires to.  By default there should be a delay (such as, until
the repacker runs at night) in indexing to ensure that we only index
that which will be around for a while.  This is for performance reasons.