On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 00:01:49 -0700
Hans Reiser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> rvalles wrote:
> >I believe those two are related. I'm having the "pauses" (of many
> >minutes at times!) when writing to reiser4. It seems it is triggered
> >mostly by the use of fsync(); NFS in sync mode manages to trigger it
> >way often: I mount my old desktop's home from my new computer via
> >synced NFS.
> >The pauses consist in the application being frozen and the other
> >applications being slowed down on their IO operations, while the
> >disks writes data continously during an interval that usually last a
> >minute or so, but may last many times that. It often happens with
> >small files (like, when sending a mail, as it passes through the
> >MTA), so I believe it probably (re)writes to disk lots of stuff that
> >doesn't need to be written to disk at all.
> >It only happens on reiser4 patches against 2.6.13 or newer, 2.6.12.x
> >is fine.
> >

> So the pauses are experienced by a process waiting on fsync to finish?
> If yes, then the problem is a very different issue from what I
> thought....

I am pretty sure I triggered the same a couple of times with aMule,
which was downloading and uploading about 20-30kB per second in each
direction, and randomly accessing larger files. Doing a sync then
suddenly caused the disk seek like crazy and write about 500kB per
second constantly. I waited about a minute, and then better killed
aMule. Could it be possible that sync tries to sync the writes which
arrive during the operation and cannot catch up?

--
Jindrich Makovicka