Payal

All file operations pass through the linux VFS (virtual file system).  When a
process requests a file operation, the kernel VFS code will traverse the tree
of dentries starting at the root or current working directory dentry.  If it
hits a point where there is no dentry, VFS will ask the file system to
produce one with info that file system needs to relate the dentry to the data
on the file system (usually includes reference to the inode).  So if we
open("/tmp/paypal.txt") the vfs will look for a 'tmp' dentry that is a child
of the root dentry.  Then look for a 'paypat.txt' dentry.  From that, VFS
will call the file system to open the file for the specified dentry.

When you mount a file system, VFS will find the dentry associated with the
directory you are mounting the new fs at.  Then get a dentry for the root of
the new file system.  Then essentially swap them out.  So when the VFS
traverses the dentries it will traverse right onto the dentry for the other
file system.  That isn't really correct, there is a bump through a vfsmount
structure, but that's the basic theme.
Namespaces allowing different process to see different view of the file
system also complicate the matter a bit.

Try googling "linux vfs"

If you really want to know "exactly" how it works, look at the code.
Documentation/filesystems/vfs.txt
include/linux/dcache.h include/linux/mount.h include/linux/fs.h fs/namei.c
fs/namespaces.c are some places to start.