On 9/19/06, David Masover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

When I have over a
gig of RAM free (not even buffer/cache, but _free_), and am trying to
download anything over BitTorrent, even if it's less than 200 megs, the
disk thrashes so badly that the system is really only usable for web and
email.  Even movies will occasionally stall when this is happening, and
by "occasionally", I mean every minute or so.

Do you have this problem on plain vanilla + reiser4? I think some
out-of-tree patches (like adaptive readahead?) may result in such
behaviour, independent of file system.
With a free gig of RAM reiser4 shouldn't access disk a lot, only during flushes.

--
Alexey Polyakov