Hi again,

Sorry but I wonder why you worry about my setup...

The kernel is also something that should arguably take up less RAM. For
one thing, it can't be swapped out...
Well I am completly happy with my kernel build - the executable is
about 1.5mb which I don't care at all. The ~0.2mb I would save with O2
don't matter at all.
Another more dramatic effect which needs to be analyzed are L1/L2
cache misses which are more likely to occur with larger code - but
since the LZO-code of Reiser4 is very small it fits into L1 anyway.

biggest optimization you do when compiling your own kernel is selecting
a CPU.
Well but at least for kernel 2.6.19 it does not make any difference if
you select p-pro, p2, p3 or p4 - the emitted code will alway be i686
compatible, only instruction sceduling is tuned for the given CPU.
Thats why I altered my Makefile.cpu to : cflags-$(CONFIG_MPENTIUM4)     +=
-march=pentium4 -mno-sse -mno-sse2 -mtune=pentium4

lg Clemens