Hi,

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 03:05:33PM -0700, Quinn Harris wrote:
> I really doubt there is any solution that would take less than a few
> hours.  I am sure it is possible to recover much of the data but to
> the best of my knowledge no tool exists that can recover from an
> abandoned root node (for reiser4).  Though I believe recovery in this
> case would just involve finding the root node (think that is
> reasonably tractable, but slow) fixing the superblock to point to that
> and let fsck do its thing.
>
> I don't think the root node has a magic number that advertises root,
> but internal nodes do have a recognizable signature and in principal
> one could deduce which is the root from a collection of the internal
> nodes.
>
> Note that reiser4 packs lots of data in single nodes.  If you create a
> fresh fs with only a few small files they will reside entirely in the
> root node, which will be clobbered by a mkfs.  There is a very good
> change that mkfs will clobber a little bit of data, but less than 4K.
>
> I am sure a few thousand dollars would buy you a solution.  Maybe
> less.

Thanks for your concern!  However, with the additional flags Vladimir
mentioned, I managed to recover all but two shared library files which
could be easily copied from a working system.

I already answered Vladimir's posting twice - one "thanks, I'll try
that" and one success report.  It just so happens that a LOT of mails I
send to the list never gets through, no idea why.

Regards,
Chris