Hello Edward,

Thank you for explanation. I'm still not convinced though. Cryptcompress is indeed awesome, but that doesn't change the fact that reserved block calculation can be improved. 5% of modern 500GB drive is 25GB and I can't see how that space will ever be used even if I will delete thousands of files. There is no point in reserving disk space if it will never be used. There are many ways to improve this situation: a upper and lower limit for reserved block count can be used, ability to manually set reserve can be added to mkfs or perhaps reserve usage patterns for various workloads can be analyzed and smarter algorithm can be developed.

Can you suggest how to simulate workload that will expose reserve block starvation?

Looking forward to your reply,
   Max Yudin