---
strategie per la comunicazione indipendente
http://www.rekombinant.org/media-activism
---

Well, a lot of accidents happen at this intersection, because in many ways
poststructuralism conflicts with the anarchist tradition.  anarchist
theory typically assumes a greater degree of realism (in the philosophical
sense -- belief in an independently existing objective reality) than some
PS theorists are willing to countenance.  many anarchists have a big
problem with PS strictures against universalizing: if every generalization
is "essentialist" or "totalitarian," how can we say, for instance, that
all wage labor is exploitation? the PS theorist gilles deleuze punningly
speaks of "thought without a General," but from the standpoint of
activism, this ultra-specific way of thinking might look ultra-toothless.
(so i tend to think.)
   on the other hand . . . well, have you read todd may's *The Political
   Philosophy of Poststructuralist Anarchism*, or andrew koch's essays on
   PS and anarchism? both see a connection in that anarchism, like PS,
   centers on a "rejection of representation" -- primarily in the sense of
   political representation (denying that a "representative" can ever
   adequately "speak for" a constituent, or that a leninist "vanguard
   party" can ever "stand for" the interests of the people), but perhaps
   also in the sense of symbolic representation (denying, for instance,
   that wages and prices can ever accurately "stand for" the value of
   labor -- see peter kropotkin's *The Conquest of Bread*).
   and as i mentioned in my last post, there is the PS critique of
   essentialism (the belief that things have a fixed "nature" or "essence"
   that makes them what they are and governs their behavior), which many
   anarchists find useful as a tool for attacking racist and sexist
   ideologies.  contrary to popular belief, the anarchist tradition is by
   no means welded to some pollyanna notion of human beings as constituted
   by a "good human nature"; we know just how great a role socialization
   and education play in making us who we are.  we're aware of what
   anthropology and history have to tell us about just how flexible human
   beings can be, how many forms human life can take, and we delight in
   that diversity.  (however, anarchists also tend to want to argue that
   human beings *do* have certain things in common, even on a biological
   level -- for instance, our shared needs for food, shelter, and
   nurturance . . . and we've also historically asserted the existence of
   real social classes, with shared class interests -- see the writings of
   folks like rudolf rocker . . .)
   i'm working on a book right now in which i argue that the issues of
   representationalism and essentialism need to be rethought, because a.)
   while it is true that nasty ideologies entail essentialism of a certain
   kind, i don't think that essentialism per se is a bad thing, an error,
   or even avoidable, and b.) while the anarchist tradition does indeed
   launch a critique of representation, this critique does not and should
   not amount to a simple "rejection of representation." at the same time,
   i do think that PS offers a useful corrective to common-sense or naive
   realism by making us aware that how we represent reality makes a
   difference -- that the world does not necessarily come carved into neat
   chunks, and that social and political identities are not necessarily
   given or to be taken for granted.
   have you seen a recent film called *The Impostors*, a comedy with
   stanley tucci and oliver platt? there's a scene in it which illustrates
   the kind of problem that PS can help us to rethink.  arthur and maurice
   (played by tucci and platt), two out-of-work actors during the
   depression, hatch a plan: maurice will insult the proprietor of the
   bakery, and arthur will come to the baker's defense, so that the baker
   will reward him with "a cornucopia of delicacies." the plan goes
   completely haywire, however, when arthur, getting a little too excited
   by the drama of his role, calls maurice a "bourgeois pig" and accuses
   him of "exploiting" this "hard-working gentleman" who "works like a
   lackey from rise to set." the baker gets confused and upset, insisting
   that he's *not* really "miserable." arthur calls him "a slave and an
   idiot" -- whereupon maurice throws *arthur* out and is rewarded by a
   *very* distraught baker.
   it's a little joke about identity.  arthur tries to align himself with
   the baker by identifying as a "worker" as against maurice's presumed
   "bourgeois" identity.  the problem is that the baker doesn't accept
   this identity -- to use a term from the theorist louis althusser, he
   doesn't respond to arthur's "hailing" him as a fellow proletarian.  the
   miscommunication that ensues is disastrous.
   leftists of practically every stripe, from liberals to anarchists, have
   been playing out this scenario over and over again.  we get caught up
   in our own representations of the world, our own accounts of how things
   really are, forgetting that not everyone shares them -- and then we are
   scandalized to see that people are behaving like "slaves and idiots,"
   voting for their own repression, acquiescing happily to their own
   subjugation and destruction.  we forget that others see what happens at
   the workplace in terms of the ideology of the "free contract," as an
   even exchange in which both parties benefit, rather than as
   exploitation of the employee/subordinate by the employer/dominator.  we
   protest the "new slavery" of "the prison-industrial system," but others
   see it as a guarantor of justice and safety.  we call for "liberation";
   others think "liberty" is what we *have* here.  we talk about "the U.S.
   war machine," and others bristle at this characterization of what they
   take to be the "defenders" of our "freedom."  we talk about "the
   violence of the system," but our protests are seen *as* a violent
   disruption of a peaceful norm.  our "common sense" and theirs don't
   match up.
   the easy thing to do in this frustrating situation is to call people
   slaves and idiots.  a more difficult but better tactic would be to try
   to understand how others' representations of reality differ from ours
   and why, and to use this understanding to produce a more effective
   rhetoric.  PS, i would argue, offers us some tools to do this with.