Hello Edward and relax users,

I have been recently using relax to carry out model free analyses on two
different states of my protein at 600 and 800 MHz. I am working with a LOV
domain (132 residues) which exists in a ground "dark" state and a photoactive
"light" state. Both states exist as a symmetric homodimer in solution. For the
analysis I have been using the crystal structures, one monomer at a time. Also,
the resonances showing overlap have not been included in the analyses. There is
no difference in the backbone as such between the two crystal structures. Along
with model-free I have also carried out reduced spectral density mapping. The
J(0)s of both the states agree well between the two fields. Hence there is
nothing wrong with the data as such. Also both the J(w) agree well with my
het-NOE and R1 with respect to regions in the protein showing fast timescale
backbone motion.

The model free analysis of the "dark" state goes fine. The S2 values show same
regions having fast timescale motions as observed from the raw relaxation data
and rSDM. Both the monomers individually give me approximately comparable
results. For e.g., a loop between residues 100 and 110 shows flexibility on
fast time scale according to the raw data, rSDM as well as relax S2 values.

However, for the "light" state the results from model free appear quite bizarre
for both the monomers. The average S2 for the "dark" state was ~ 0.8. As per my
raw data and rSDM, I expected the S2 values to be slightly elevated in "light"
state. However, my "light" state S2 values are on an average 0.17! Also the
same loop is now with higher than average S2 values in the "light" state
whereas the raw data and rSDM showed the loop to be flexible, albeit less
flexible compared to the "dark" state. The internal motions (Te) are less than
5 ps and seen only in 7 residues. No Ts or Tf. I have attached figures from the
spectral density mapping as well as the "dark" and "light" state S2 values to
illustrate better what I am trying to say.
Also, I repeated the "dark" state model free analysis with "dark" state
structures. thinking that there might be some bug somewhere and got results
just like earlier. But not with the "light" state. Since the backbones between
two states are near identical, I used the "dark" state structure to run with
relax on the "light" state data. I again get these bizarre results. I am about
to run model free with "light" state structure and "dark" state relaxation
data. However, I am not sure where the problem lies, whether it is the
structure, my data or some bug somewhere. Since the J(0)s add up nicely, I do
not think it is the data. It is unlikely that it is bug since the "dark" state
ran fine. It is also unlikely that the structure is strange since dark and
light states have near identical backbones and there are no missing residues in
either of the structures. I must also add that the correlation time obtained
from relax are actually comparable with the ones extracted from R2/R1 ratio for
both the "dark" and the "light" states. It is only the motion parameters which
are weird for the "light" state.

Has anyone encountered something like this recently? Any help/advice here will
be very helpful. At this moment the data is only with two fields but I do plan
to run relaxation at 900 MHz and use the three fields for model-free as soon as
I get time on the magnet.

Regards,

Vineet Panwalkar
Institute of Complex Systems-6: Strukturbiochemie (ICS-6)
Building 05.8v, Room 2022
Forschungszentrum Jülich
52425 Jülich
Germany